Thursday, September 3, 2009

Not Only Are There Opinions, but They Are Complex

This morning we were out the door early. I was off to the orthodontist's in Seattle so The Boy was off to Grandma's.

Still in his jammies and tucked into the car seat with a mug of milk, he chimes in to my morning reverie.

"News (NPR was on) is Daddy's favorite."

Yes.

"Abba Dabba (Honeymoon) my favorite."

Yes, it is. (I know. I know.)

"Listen to Abba Dabba."

Yeah, okay.

"Mama sing not."

Right.

Having cleared up the music issue, The Boy moved on to future concerns.

"Get on bus. See Buffalo." (We went to Northwest Trek in ... April? I didn't think he was paying attention to the buffalo, but apparently he was. How do they remember this stuff?)

The stock answer of late has been, "When Nonnie gets here, we'll ride the bus and see the buffalo."

As I took breath for the rote answer The Boy jumps in: "Wait for Nonnie not. Get on bus. Go see buffalo today."

Wow.

I've been told that there are developmental "bursts" where kids synthesize mental (vocabulary) and motor (speaking) skills seemingly overnight. Since he wasn't talking like this yesterday, I'd say "bursts" are a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment